Chilson Beach at Beaver Pond
OPEN TO FRANKLIN RESIDENTS ONLY
August 22, 2016 Update
Chilson Beach is now officially closed for the season. We will not staff the beach with lifeguards or gateguards for the rest of 2016. Our last official water quality test was reported on August 17 with an elevated bacteria level (E-Coli). This menas it is not safe to swim in the water. Signs have been posted at the beach. Elevated bacteria is not uncommon for fresh ponds at this time of year with heat and drought conditions. For more information about this, please visit:http://water.usgs.gov/edu/bacteria.html
July 30 Update: Chilson Beach has been wonderful this season. With no lifeguards on duty, we continue to monitor the gate checking for resident only policy. Our gate guards are there from 10am-8pm. We are testing the water once per week and the results are coming back great. Its been less than 10 (the best rating you can get) every week. Results are available below. We hired Solitude Lake Management to hydrorake the beach, removing nuisence aquatic vegetation (weeds). The beach has been raked a couple times this season to keep the sand smooth and
filling in holes. The dock has been removed from the water as a safety precaution. We had some kids pull the poles out that were holding the dock secure and the dock was being moved around. In an effort to protect our residents, we've removed the dock for the season. Next summer, we will secure the dock with new poles at the correct depth. If you have any questions regarding Chilson Beach, please do not hesitate to contact the Recreation Department at 508-613-1666
Chilson Beach Rules
RESIDENTS OF FRANKLIN ONLY
No Lifeguards on duty
- All patrons are swimming at their own risk.
- No children under 14 years old are allowed on the beach alone.
- No masks, fins, snorkels, inflatable or flotation devices unless they are specifically stamped or marked with the US COAST GUARD APPROVED
- No alcoholic beverages allowed.
- No glass bottles of any sort allowed.
- No running, shoving or horse playing especially on the dock.
- No diving except in marked areas.
- No swimming under the dock.
- No hanging on the buoys
- No swimming allowed outside designated areas.
- No parking in the fire lanes, boat landing, or outside the front gate for beach use.
- No bicycles, ATV’s or dirt bikes allowed on beach.
- No smoking on the beach, designated area by the parking lot
- No trespassing between 9:00pm and 6:00am
- No dogs
- Children under the age of six must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
Any violation of these rules could result in removal from the beach
For questions regarding beach rules, please contact the Franklin recreation department at (508)-613-1666
Access to Chilson Beach for the purpose of swimming will be permitted at Beaver Pond parking area on Beaver Street. Swimming will be allowed, at the swimmer’s own risk under the following conditions.
- Swimming will be permitted from June 25-August 28, 2016
- Swimming will be permitted during daylight hours only.
- All children under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult
- Diving off the dock at Chilson Beach will be prohibited
- Dogs will not be permitted on the beach or in the water
- Signs will be posted notifying the public if the water quality testing fails during the performed testing from June 25-August 28, 2016
- Signs will be posted at Chilson Beach indicating swimming is at their own risk.
These rules shall apply during the summer of 2016
The playground at Beaver Pond was dedicated to the children of Franklin by Joseph and Mary Vendetti. This tot lot was designed for ages 2-5 and features 3 spring animals (whale, porpoise, Clifford "the big red dog"), three slides with a rock climbing wall, a suspended bridge, and numerous challenges for kids. The playground is ADA compliant and is furnished with engineered wood fiber surfacing. The entire playground has been donated in memory of Mr. & Mrs. Joseph Vendetti. Special thanks to the Vendetti's for their donation to the children of Franklin. A dedication was held in September of 2005.